Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Pro and con of Carrera DTM Shootout

Last updated on 9 years ago
The Saw
Pro:
- Cool looking new cars and liveries that aren't available from other brands. Later models of Mercedes, Audi, and BMW available.
- Inexpensive. New price between $31 & $37
- Club is getting better at tuning carrera cars, chance to get these cars competitive with other brands of DTM cars. A opportunity learn and share knowledge.
- single manufacturer series with current motor rules can foster tight competition.
- Kens suggestion of foregoing the current DTM motor rules and keep them stock.
- Some members already have this car and can now have a chance to compete.
- As per the con of difficult to tune, particularly for beginners, it presents the opportunity for the knowledgeable racer to share wth the inexperienced as they tune together since the majority will be tuning their first car of this type. Finally in accord to our mission statement.

Con:

- Carrera cars are difficult to tune, particularly for beginners.
- Have to buy another DTM car.

This would only be for 2015 and perhaps 2016 if needed. We may want to continue if it proves to be fun.
Your pertinent replys will be added to the list. Keep the snarkiness out of the discussion.
If we discuss this now it allows us to prepare for October.
B
I've been looking for a reason to buy an Audi A5:-)
The Saw
Any thoughts on the subject at hand?:@
R
Define "current motor rule" H&R Jack rabbit? or....gear options, flag options?
Larry Kelley
The Saw
That would be the current motor rule that applies to the DTM Shootout Larry.
Ken
Well, the current DTM motor rule is intended to level the playing field across many manufacturers. The only way I might be persuaded to vote yes would be if we ran them box stock.
The Saw
Sorry than Papa, maybe you can borrow somebody's spare.B) in fact it's another opportunity if they tune their spare with you.
The Saw
That's an excellent idea Ken. We could leave the motors stock for the first year and try to make the chassis competitive first before throwing the ponies at it.
Ken
So far the voting doesn't seem to favor Carrera.
The Saw
Not to worry, I'm considering it a non binding referendum.
The Saw
Hey Denny, you can build your own car for this race. With Rich's assistance the whole club could be pissed off at you by November!:D
The Saw
A lot of no votes but no cons to add or support. We had an scx DTM series to get those cars competitive, why not a carrera Shootout?
gunslinger1352
I can't speak for anyone else and I am not trying to start a firestorm but since you asked my con Is I already have over 12-15 DTM cars,And i really Don't want to buy another -After all Gary the club has been running this for alot of years.please don't get mad but you did ask
The Saw
Not mad at all Mr. Norm, I understand your individual situation. I need to hear the reasons. Thanks.
Ken
The votes don't speak for themselves? They are heavy in the wrong way, sloppy bushings, crappy guideflags and braid ,no brakes, piles of useless wiring. The Carrera DTM cars are apparently so poor by comparison that there is a market for full replacement chassis' that would require one to spend $100 to make them enjoyable. We tried the SCX cars and many were disappointed. And the fact that the current series is something we can all run with cars we already have. Not to mention it would be another car that we would run a series with and never use again. Has anybody once run the SCX DTM's as a weekly fun race? Not that I recall. One other way to look at it is a new guy would need to buy three DTM cars, a competitive one, an SCX and a Carrera if we ran a new series and continued to run them all as weekly races. About 90% of our regular racers have voted, and the only votes for Carrera are you and Larry. It's common knowledge that most of us agree that Carrera cars are poor, is it really necessary for each of us to quantify our distaste? You wanted to hear the reasons.
The Saw
Well there's your answer Rich, I know you liked the idea since you enthusiastically brought it on 2-3 occasions, but apparently the majority does not want it. And Ken waffled. I believe I saw a few SCX in last years shootout and even a competitive one. I just thought we might be able to elevate a brand that's currently producing new DTM cars that are inexpensive and not hard to obtain. The only person who has to replace a car will be Ken.
Ken
As to the new poll, Slot-it DTM'S are not scheduled until 2016. Current rules require plastic wheels and a 3 to 1 gear ratio, are we considering changing those rules? Personally I think those rules keep the.playing field level, and then we go back to the fact that many of us have many cars that meet the current rules. We also have never allowed a car with a truly adjustable motor pod, granted one didn't exist.
The Saw
I thought they were supposed to be out in August.
Ken
I came across the link below on the Slot-it site, it shows all the cars that will be released month by month, no DTM's. Alan's site is taking pre-orders, depending on which you Alfa you look at (they are coming first) one says late 2015, the other says late 2015 and also available in 2016, so...

http://www.slot.it/INGLESE/planning.html
Ken
Although Gary, you have an in in the industry, maybe you've got some inside info that the rest of us don't.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You can start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator