Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Can-Am car rules

Last updated on 14 years ago
T
Can-Am was run between 1966 and 1974 ,and because most of the available cars are so drastically different this will be a "builders" series.
Items in red indicate rule changes or additions after original publish date.)

Cars:

Fly:
Porsche 908 and 908/2 ( no 908-3 , no Flunder )
Porsche 917 Spyder
Porsche 917-10

Sloter:
Lola T280 or 290

Monogram:
Lola T-70 roadster
McLaren M6A
Chapparal 2C ( must be painted , the real Can-Am car was called a Chinook and was bodied from a monogram slot car )

Historic Scale Racing Replicas (HSRR):
McLaren M8d

Racer:
Ferrari 350P
Alfa Romeo 33/3
Chapparal 2E

Slot.It:
Chapparal 2E
Alfa Romeo 33/3

Carrera:
Porsche 917-30
McLaren M20

You may use resin or model kit bodies, however they must be pre-approved. You must use a Slot.It HRS chassis with these bodies.

Chassis:
Stock or Any (sorry for the late change , I didn't realize the HRS chassis was too wide )
Motor: Any
Pinion: Any
Spur/crown gear: Any
Guide flag: Any (Wood track flags must be trimmed down to work on all tracks )
Guide flag spacer: Yes
Axles: Any
Axle spacers: Yes
Wheels: Any (some cars take a wider tire than even the F1s so any wheel tire combo will be ok
Wheel inserts: Yes, must have period correct inserts (1966- 1974)
Tires: Any (must fit inside all 4 wheel openings, )
True/coat front tires: Yes
Lead wires: Any
Braid: Any
Body screws/Mounting: Any
Body: Stock (resin and/or kit bodies must be complete, roll-bars ,windshields ,wings ,spoilers, etc. must be in place. May remove body components from chassis and glue to body.
Body lowering: Yes (must also meet ride height requirements min .030 track clearance)
Paint: Yes
Race #s: Yes (must have at least 3)
Interior: Stock (kit and resin car interiors may have to be scratch-built, no lexan ).
Ride height/ track clearance: Min .030 (including lead)
Driver: Yes (no lexan)
Sponsor decals: Yes (also must be period correct, no I-Pod , Verizon or other similar contemporary sponsors)

Many people have spoken to me and said that they didn't want another "spec" series. And, many people have said they wanted a "builders " series. This is our chance to try something new, however some may have more limited skills than others, don't be afraid to ask someone for help.

Thanks!

Twister
SmilinRay

Twister wrote:
Can-Am was run between 1966 and 1974 ,and because most of the availabe cars are so drastically different this will be a "builders" series.

Wheel inserts : yes ,must have period correct inserts ( 1966- 1974 )

Interior : stock (kit and resin car interiors may have to be scratch-built ,no lexan ).

Driver : yes ( no lexan )

Twister and I will be working on getting appropriate resin wheel inserts available.

I already have plenty of pre-painted resin driver figures available. See my web site (in Web Links) and let me know if/when you need one.
Smilin' Ray
http://smilinrays.webs.com/
http://www.facebook.com/SmilinRay
Ken
Food for thought:
aftermarket silicone tire widths
Ninco 1200=.410
Fly classic=.430
F1=.470
HSRR McLaren=.605

Why no F1's?
The Saw
So which PPR is that Ken?
Allen
Fly also produces a Porsche 908/2 is that allowed?
Ken
Gar,

The tires on my car are Indy Grips. I don't think PPR makes one, but I believe there are others out there.
Ken
I missed the front tire thing, have to admit that concerns me as well.

And maybe some clarification on interiors please? If I scratch build a slammed car with an inline chassis, much more than a helmet and the top of the steering wheel is gonna look goofy. What is the minimum requirement?
Ken
Do we know if all these cars front tires touch when stock from the manufacturer? I have five cars that are legal for this class but none of them are legal because of the front tires.

The wheel inserts are a bit of a concern as well. Is Ray really going to have inserts available for every aftermarket wheel?
SmilinRay

Ken wrote:
The wheel inserts are a bit of a concern as well. Is Ray really going to have inserts available for every aftermarket wheel?

Probably not, but many wheels that I've seen, and I've certainly not seen them all, have similar recess size. Much of this needs to be worked out but if I can get examples of wheels wished to be used, I believe I can make the appropriate inserts. Again, much needs to be worked out and I know Ronny's intention is to have "series and era" accurate wheels, not necessarily the precise wheel that was on a particular car.

Ronny, do I have this correct?
Smilin' Ray
T
The idea for the wheels touching the track is to keep some of the guide flags from tearing up the copper tape on peoples tracks , I have had this happen to me before . Wheel inserts can also be made by turning down the stock wheels . The interiors dont have to be a full tub . I dont know of a908/2 but the 903/3 is not legal .
Ken
So you're suggesting we change the rules for all our classes so the front tires touch?
T
To much grief, the tires touching the track rule has been deleted
SmilinRay

Twister wrote:
To much grief, the tires touching the track rule has been deleted

Maybe saying no more than a business card fitting under the front tires is appropriate. I would not want to see tires an 1/8 inch off the track! :@
Smilin' Ray
CYIROCK
Allen,

Fly's 908/3 never ran in the series, but a 908/10 did run, which was essentially a 908/3 body coupled with a horizontal spoiler attached high up between the vertical fins. Ask Ron if he will let you run the car in this configuration...

Rich
Allen
I was asking about the 908/2. Fly makes these as well as the 908 and 908/3. Just curious.

Also I was under the impression that we were allowing the Sloter Lola T290?
T
Sorry for the delay , I just found out what the 908/2 is , looks just like a 908 , it will be o.k. I forgot about the Slotter Lola , again its o.k.
Ken
Here's a new one. Bought an HRS chassis. The narrowest wheel I can put on the front axle are small Slot-it's like off a Sauber or 962. With those wheels the front end measures 2.45". I have Fly 917's, a HSRR McLaren's, and the Monogram Lola from the series. That width front end won't fit under any of them. Not sure what Slot-it was thinking, I went through at least 40 cars, I found two that I might be able to get that front end under. Can we modify the chassis to get it under a body?
T
I know how that chassis is made , its to wide , but if you use hub-less wheels , it works fine --- no you can't modify the chassis . I didn't put this chassis in the rules to make it easy , I did it to make it hard. Too many cars can be made "winners" by building the original car ,the idea of " the more I spend , The faster I'll be " is nonsense , a really fast car can be made , without spending oodles of bucks fairly easy . Remember , we race one lots of different tracks , they all race different!
T
By the way , I saw a Monogram Lola , turn 7.1s on randy's track , with the stock chassis !
Sofa King
as far as I can see T162s ran the original series not the T280s
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You can start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator